Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Is Great (To Look At)

It's a beautiful winter wonderland here in Topeka right now, with cold temperatures and 3" of snow on the ground. Unfortunately, that same 3" of snow is still clogging up most of the side streets, making driving quite the adventure. Admittedly, though, it could be worse. I could live in the country. Gravel roads become especially nasty in snow/ice conditions, so I am quite glad right now that I live in the city. If only the city would plow residential side streets. I can guarantee you that my street will probably not get plowed at all, which means that the packed-in snow will have to melt on its own. I would have no problem with this plan, except that the snow on my street doesn't melt easily because it is an old, tree-lined street. Beautiful, of course, but quite slick once snow is on it. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this snow stuck around a while, say, until March. :-)
Seriously, though, the beautiful of the argent landscape just helps set the mood for Christmas, which is now just over a week away. It would be wonderful to have the snow stick around to create a picturesque Christmas scene. Snow is wonderful to look at. Too bad it doesn't drive on quite as well.

No comments: