Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Wish You a Gratitude-Producing Period of Late December

It seems that in our pluralistic society, people are afraid to wish each other Merry Christmas, even Christians speaking to other Christians seem to suffer from this malady. The attempts to deny the existence of Christmas, even when many people who are not substantially Christian celebrate it, annoys me. Below are some of the common politcally-correct euphemisms for Christmas, and my initial thoughts when I hear them.
Statement: "Seasons Greetings"
My thoughts: "Which season? Spring? Summer? Fall? Baseball season? Oh, I love baseball season!"
Statement: "Happy Holidays"
My thoughts: "Which holiday? Groundhog Day? Veteran's Day? Yom Kippur? May Day?"
Statement: "Wishing you all the best this time of year"
My thoughts: "What about the rest of the year? And are you wishing it to me or to all of me, since I'm single and there's not a 'you all' in my life."
(And I'm sure there are others, but since my brain is still fried from having to speak in and listen to Spanish for 3 hours straight, I can't think of them right now.)
Now, I don't say these initial thoughts. Rather, I politely say, "Thank you. Merry Christmas to you!"
So, let me wish you now, dear reader, an early, merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!

No comments: