Sunday, December 28, 2008

Semester in Review (Brief)

Several of my friends have sent out the traditional Christmas/end of the year letter that summarized all of the big events that happened in the past year. Being a teacher, I function on the academic calendar, so for me, the year is only halfway started. And it really divides into three pieces: two semesters and summer. So, for those of you who read this blog that aren't nearby, here is a brief overview of this past semester.
The semester began with a sense of foreboding, as if several unusual or bizarre events were just waiting to unfold. And those concerns proved true when a few of my students unexpectedly left the school during the school year. Now, having a few students leave at the end of the year or even at the end of a semester was not unusual. But to have some students depart part of the way through a quarter was completely unexpected and a bit shocking. The changes, though, proved good for the students involved, although we miss them at school.
Outside of school, life continues much as it always has. I've been blessed to have the chance to facilitate the discussion a couple of times in Sunday School class. I still referee soccer and serve as an assistant for the school's soccer teams, although I'm not sure how much longer I'll have the desire to do either. And the Scholars' Bowl team, which I sponsor, has started to get involved in more tournaments, even winning one.
And that's all the news that is news here in heartland of America.

No comments: