Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Happy Year!

(No that's not a typo. It's a reference to an old New Year's television special. If you can correctly identify it, give yourself 5000 brownie points.)
One of the most random holidays that we celebrate in America is upon us: New Year's Eve/Day. I still don't quite understand the fascination everyone has with reaching the same orbital position as we occupied 365 days ago. I mean, I could see if we celebrated at the end of a certain season (say, March 22, the end of winter) or the end of a certain time frame (May 31, the end of school for most students). But to celebrate on the arbitrary day that we do just seems unusual to me. I guess we have to take time and look back over the year at some point, and this time is as good as any. It's still odd to me. Oh, well. I don't make the culture. And it's not that big a deal. I just needed to write something today, so there you go. Have a wonderful New Year, and even though January 1, 2009, will look an awful lot like December 31, 2008, may you be able to look back at 2008 and see the many blessings that God has bestowed upon you!

No comments: