Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring Break Project

Every Spring Break for the past two years, I've tried to work on some major home improvement project that I don't have time to do during the school year. This year, I thought I'd take on the task of removing the old, ugly, peeling wallpaper that currently haunts my kitchen.
I plan on starting tomorrow, but the process just became a bit more difficult because I have discovered that underneath two layers of wallpaper there is wood paneling. Particleboard paneling would be more accurate, or so it appears to me.
The problem with this paneling, however, is that it has been both glued and nailed to the wall. I know this because in on one edge of one wall, the glue has failed completely, and the paneling was pulled away from the wall, allowing me to see what's behind it.
So, in addition to having to strip wallpaper, I'm going to have to remove the particleboard paneling, trying not to do damage to the plaster walls that are underneath. Then, once the panels are off, I'm going to have to clean and sand the walls to allow them to be painted. If that sounds like a lot of work, well, it is. I'm not looking forward to this challenge. If it had just been wallpaper, that is one thing, but wood paneling adds an extra level of difficulty (and potential expense) to this project. It's a good thing I have most of the week to devote to it.
The end result will be worth it, of course, but it could make for a couple of hard days work to get the enjoyable part: painting.

No comments: