Sunday, March 15, 2009

How I Read When in a Hurry and Prince Caspian Quiz 21

I find it quite interesting how I read when I'm in a hurry. I only read the first couple of sentences and then the last sentence or two in each paragraph, skipping that's all in between. As a result, I can say without disagreement that the proliferation of biscotti has led to an increase in tea consumption throughout the macro-economically under-performing sectors of the global economy. This fact in no way diminishes the fact that gerbils taste great when cooked on a grill after being marinated in a light orange sauce. Using an orange sauce, however, barely beats out the drilling of ice cores in the South Pacific as a way of determining historical temperature records. And we must never forget that baking soda and baking powder are two different substances. Have you ever read only the first and last couple of sentences in something? If so, then what's in the middle will be as meaningful to you as what I just wrote in the middle of this paragraph.
Too often, it seems, authors waste time on meaningless details in the middle of their paragraphs instead of just making their point. Admittedly, however, the meat of many arguments can be found in the middle. So, whether I skim or not depends on the era the author is from and how interested I am in the subject matter.

Prince Caspian Quiz 21
43. How do the Pevensies and Trumpkin meet Caspian and his army?
A. They encounter the army as it moves through the woods
B. Aslan leads the Pevensies and Trumpkin to Aslan’s How
C. Caspian meets them at Beruna
D. They never meet

44. What is the nature of the first encounter between Peter and Caspian?
A. Peter helps Caspian in a fight that breaks out in the war council under Aslan’s How
B. Aslan introduces them
C. They fight
D. They bump into each other at the grocery store

45. How many of the Pevensies meet Caspian?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 3
D. 4

1 comment:

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

43. Book: B, Movie: A
44. Book: A, Movie: C
45. Book: B, Movie: D
(And, boy, do I ever wish that the screenwriters had stuck to the book on this one, but I’ll save that for later.)