Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rant: Please, Not Until After Thanksgiving!

[rant]It's already started. From the moment November 1st dawned, some people--groups of people, really--have started to the inexorable march towards Christmas. Christmas decorations are already showing up in store windows and along city streets. Christmas (well, at least winter) music of the most saccharine kind is being blared from speakers in many stores. And I don't want to know how many radio stations started playing Christmas music already.
"So," you ask, "what's wrong with that?" Quite a bit, in my opinion. First of all, we have another holiday before Christmas, one that we should all be taking far more seriously than we currently do: Thanksgiving. Of course, in modern America, with its slowly-dying belief in God, the idea of giving thanks to the One who provided us with so much is becoming unthinkable. I guess I could understand why skipping it might be preferable. Second, and this is admittedly a personal taste issue, Christmas/winter music is a bit saccharine. Listening to it for two months is to me like eating a bag of sugar followed by drinking about 10 diet soft drinks in a row. The results just make me sick.
Once Thanksgiving is over, and the Advent season proper begins, I have no problem with Christmas music. In fact, I relish the thought of it. Which is why I don't want it spilling out into the streets right now: Christmas music loses its charm (its "specialness") when it becomes the default standard for 2 months. Give me 4 1/2 weeks of it, and I'll be good. But please, don't start roasting your chestnuts on an open fire until Jack Frost is nipping at your nose, which won't happen until after Thanksgiving.[/rant]

No comments: