Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Not to the Level of a Faramir, But...

I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Capsian tonight, and I was disappointed. Now, I knew coming in that they had made some changes. (Tangent: Why screenwriters feel that they need to make significant changes to books when they adapt them to the screen is beyond me.) However, I was not prepared for the severity of the changes.
Don't get me wrong: the movie as a movie is a good movie. Most people, who don't know the book well, will find it enjoyable.
On the other hand, those who know the book will probably find the amount of changes to the storyline (for no apparent reason) disappointing. I won't put any spoilers in the regular post, but I will leave one comment that contains a spoiler, so be warned.
So, was it a good movie. Yes. Was it as good as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? No. Let's hope that this movie grosses enough that the Hollywood big-wigs will decide to make Voyage of the Dawn Treader into a movie. And when they do, let's hope they hire a new writing staff: one that knows how to adapt a book without messing with the plot.

3 comments:

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

The worst change? Two words: castle attack.

Prince of Spades said...

I hear what you're saying, and I don't completely disagree. I'll touch on this more when I get a full review up shortly, but I think this book needed to be tweaked more than the others. There just isn't a lot that happens, from a movie standpoint.

In my mind, Voyage is the most cinematic and episodic book yet. It could/should be an amazing movie.

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

I realize that some tweaking needed to be done, but I was disappointed with how they tweaked it. Most of what made the book enjoyable for me was lost.
I agree with you about Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It should be a great movie. Too bad it's not planned for another couple of years.