Sunday, October 22, 2006

Rambling: Simple Providence

I was refereeing soccer games this weekend in the cold and rain, and in the midst of it all, I experience God's providence in a simple, small way. With one game left, the other two referees and I who were on the crew out at Felker Park went back to the shelter. Inside the area cordoned off for referees was a cheese pizza. Apparently, the people in charge of the tournament decided to deliver us a pizza. Anyway, we all had several pieces and then went to referee out final game. Now, I had planned on eating the last of the leftover chili after I got home. When I got home, though, and looked in my fridge, I discovered that I had already eaten the last of the chili and forgotten about it. I was reminded of Matthew 6:8, which says, in part, "your Father knows what you need before you ask Him."

How much like God is it to provide for something simple like a meal when I had miscalculated the amount of food I had! What a wonderful little blessing after a long, tiring day of cold, rainy weather! Thanks be to God!

2 comments:

B. D. Mooneyham said...

I hope that pizza didn't get in the way of refereeing.

I remember when coach Moore fed us pizza before we played Tri-City, and then we ended up losing that game. To Tri-City. Coach swore never to buy us pizza before a game again.

(We went on to beat them 6-0 in the MAACS tournament that year.)

P.S. Do we still play Tri-City ever?

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

The pizza helped, I think. We still do play Tri City. We beat them 2-0 this year at their place after losing to them last year (ack!) at home.