Sunday, February 19, 2006

Rant: Ice Dancing Is an Olympic Event?

<rant>So, I'm trying to watch the Winter Olympics, and I want to see the interesting sports, like ski jump, super G, and speed skating. What does NBC show, though, right in prime time? Ice dancing. Ice dancing -- a bizarre combination of dancing and figure skating, complete with all the things that don't appeal to me about either of the two events.

All difficult tosses, spins, and jumps of figure skating are gone. All that's left is a few carries and a lot of boring dance stuff. It's just not atheltic on the same level as pure ice skating. Don't get me wrong, I like to dance, but it doesn't make sense for ice dancing to be an Olympic event. After all, when was the last time you heard of someone at the summer games winning a gold medal in ballet? It's not that dance isn't athletic. It is. Yet ice dancing clearly does not belong at the Olympic level. Then there are the immodest, gaudy costumes that ice dancers feel compelled to wear. The colors and lack of material bring me to the verge of nausea.
I don't know why NBC feels so compelled to show us all of this when there are more legitimate sports such as hockey, skiing, ski jump, speed skating, and even figure skating. Make it stop, please. No more ice dancing! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!</rant>

No comments: