Monday, February 27, 2006

Rambling: Lent

Wednesday is a significant day in the church calendar, and it's a day that, sadly, will go unnoticed by a majority of evangelical Christians. That day is Ash Wednesday, the first day of a liturgical season called Lent.

The season of Lent has traditionally been a time set aside to lead up to Easter, a time of humbling ourselves before God in a more focused way than usual. (After all, we should always keep ourselves in right relationship with God.) Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the season. While it's found nowhere in Scripture, the message at an Ash Wednesday service is quite Scriptural: "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you will return." It's so easy in an age of "all about me" Christianity to forget that we are the servants of a holy God and not the other way around. And it's good to be reminded that, outside of Christ, we can do nothing of any value, not even save ourselves from hell. Ash Wednesday -- and the whole season of Lent -- are meant to be a reminder of it. So, even though my church won't have an Ash Wednesday service, I'm still going to remind myself that I am nothing without my Lord and Savior. It's a reminder that I know I need.

No comments: