Friday, July 22, 2005

Story: Colonel Williams, Ch. 6, pt. V

The next day, Williams went to Andrews’ plantation to see if he could buy Pedro from Andrews. The meeting went similarly to the one involving Alejandro. Williams bought Pedro from Andrews for a relatively small amount and took him back to Providence.
As Williams entered the house, Roderick met him, bearing a letter addressed in a firm hand. It read:
Colonel Bill Williams
Providence Estate, Georgia
The return address was familiar to Williams; the letter came from his son, Jayson Williams, a lawyer in Atlanta.
Williams opened the envelope excitedly. He heard from Jayson about once every other month, and each letter consoled him a little because in Jayson he saw—and heard—pieces of Keren. Each letter was a pleasant reminder of her.
He read the letter:
Dear Dad,
I hope that this letter finds you well. I wanted to let you know that Daria and I plan on being down in your area next week, on the twenty-first. We plan on stopping by to see you, if you will be around.
Business is going well. I am seeing my practice flourish greatly. I also have exciting news of another sort, but I want to tell you that in person.
Until the twenty-first, then.
Jayson
P.S. If the twenty-first will not work, please reply immediately.

Williams looked at Roderick. “It appears that Jayson will be here next week on the twenty-first.”
“Yes, sir,” Roderick replied calmly. “I’ll prepare to welcome him while you’re in town.”
“In town?” Williams asked, confused. “Why would I be in town?”
“Because the twenty-first is the next market day,” Roderick answered.
Williams’ eyes lit up with realization. “You’re right! But I want you to come with us, Roderick, so you couldn’t welcome him. Perhaps it would be better if I told Jayson to come another day. Unless…” he paused for a moment, deep in thought. “Unless we have JosĂ© welcome him. Jayson may be able to help us,” he concluded.
“Do you want me to make the necessary preparations, sir?”
“Yes, see to it that everything is in order,” Williams said. He walked quickly back to his office.

No comments: