Saturday, July 16, 2005

Story: Colonel Williams, Ch. 6, pt. II

His primary activity that morning was reconciling accounts and balancing books, a necessary business that he had always disliked. Before her death, Keren had taken care of the books, handling all those details that seemed too dry for his action-oriented military mind. For the first two months after Keren’s death, his son had come back from his law practice in Atlanta to help run the estate. Then, though, he had to return to his business, and Williams was left to himself to do the work of two people.
At first, he had spent twice as long as necessary on the task, his work slowed by his own unwillingness to accept that he had to do this. It was unfair, he protested to God, that he should be left with a double share of the work, that he had to work alone on a job that required two. The only answer he ever thought he had heard was a verse out of the Bible, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.”
After that, he slowly let go of his resentment at having to do the work, but if you asked whether he enjoyed it, he would say no. Yet, he thought, doing the books had one advantage: it reminded him of Keren. How he missed her! Twenty-five years of marriage had flown by, full of pain and joy, mostly joy. Now, all that remained of those wonderful years was the ledger. When he worked on it, he re-lived those days, and she did not seem to be gone. It was the closest this side of eternity he would ever come to being with her again. Maybe he enjoyed doing the books more than he thought.
Today was a longer task than usual because of all his activities over the past few days. Between the money spent for Alejandro and the time taken to head into town for three consecutive days, he had much work to do. As a result, he had worked on the task for nearly two hours when a knock at the door interrupted him.
“Beginning your pardon, sir,” Roderick said, sticking the upper half of his body through the partially-opened door, “but Alejandro is looking for you, sir.”
“Show him here, Roderick,” Williams replied. “I could use the break.”
Roderick nodded and left. A few minutes later, Alejandro pushed open the office door and entered.
“Alejandro,” Williams asked in Spanish, “what can I do for you?”
“Señor,” Alejandro answered, “I am greatly in your debt for all you have done for me. I want to know if there is anything I can do to help you.”
Williams smiled. “Please, sit, Alejandro,” he said. After the Cuban sat, Williams continued, “Right now, you are my guest; you do not have to do anything for me. My workers already tend to the fields, and I have people who help here in the house. I don’t need anything.”
Alejandro’s face fell. The prospect of days of doing nothing until the next market day discouraged him.
Williams had not finished his thought, however. “I don’t need anything,” he repeated, “but there is something I would like you to do. There is another worker here who speaks both Spanish and English. I want you to start learning English from him. The more English that you can learn, the easier it will be for you to start a new life in this country with Maria and Emilia.”
“Oh, thank you, Señor Williams!” Alejandro exclaimed happily. “I would be gald to do this. When can I start?”
“This afternoon,” Williams said. “I’ll talk with José at lunch and prepare everything.”
“¡Qué bueno!” Alejandror exclaimed. “Thank you so much. You do not know how great a blessing this is!”
“You’re welcome, Alejandro. Study well!”
“I will, Señor.” Alejandro paused. “Is there anything I can do until lunch?”
“You’re free to walk around the estate until then, but make sure that you don’t leave my property.”
“Okay,” Alejandro responded, “I will. See you at lunch.” He stood up and walked out, a bounce in his step.
Williams returned to his work, finishing about twenty minutes before lunch. He arose from his desk and spent the remaining time reading through some of the old books which lined the wall of his office.

No comments: