Monday, July 18, 2005

Story: Colonel Williams, Ch. 6, pt. III

After the lunch dishes had been cleared and Alejandro and José had gone off to begin English lessons, Williams and Roderick sat the table, talking. Roderick had yet to hear the full story of what had happened in town.
After Williams had finished the story, Roderick asked, “Given his past roaming, sir, are you sure that it was wise to let him roam around the estate this morning?”
“I think so,” Williams said. “He seemed to have learned his lesson after that incident yesterday, based on our conversation during the ride back from town. I don’t think he’ll try anything that foolish again, not when he knows that there’s a plan to find his family.”
“Then what is the plan, exactly, sir?”
“You, Alejandro, and I will head to the market on the next market day. Alejandro thinks he can recognize the men who bought his family. Once he’s spotted one or both, we’ll try to talk with them and see if we can arrange to bring Maria and Emilia here.”
“How do we know that they’ll be at the market?”
Williams frowned slightly. “We don’t, but it’s the only option we have, really.”
“I guess so, sir,” Roderick agreed after some thought, “but it is a long shot.”
“No longer than the one we faced when we had to rescue your son,” Williams countered, smiling.
“Yes, sir,” Roderick answered, smiling in his reserved manner.
“I still remember when Keren and I rescued you from slavery. You were in just as desperate a position as Alejandro.”
“Yes, but at least I did already speak English,” Roderick said jokingly.
Williams chuckled in agreement.

1 comment:

incurable optimist said...

Whoa! I've been away from the computer so long, I'm still back in 5:2. I'll catch up tomorrow, when I get home.