Sunday, April 24, 2005

Poem: Free

Free
No longer ruled by a tyrant
The cruel tyrant, the evil desires
Which I hated yet clung to
As a precious trinket

Free
As a slave redeemed remuneratively
By the power of another
Rather than by mine
For what means has a slave?

Free
Not by my own actions
Nor by the hands of any
Save of Him who saved me
By bearing my curse for me

Free
By trust alone, by faith
Reason, knowledge, status, power
All did naught to rescue me
Only trust in my Rescuer’s payment

Free
Now ruled by right
Able to do what I ought
Bound to Him who chose me
To be a bond-slave willing

Free
Heading to the goal
That all were originally built for
Before we turned away
Eternity in our hearts, long ignored

Free
And fleeing, like bird ensnared,
From the trap to the glory
Of being as I was made to be
Forever pure, forever with Him

Free
Yet not perfect
Forgetful of who and whose I am
Returning to my old habit
And besmirching the name of my Master

Free
One day fully will I indeed be
And in that day of feasting with Him
Will the strive and the strain
Prove to be worth it all

No comments: