Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sad Incident

I saw this news earlier today, and it shocked and saddened me. Abortion provider George Tiller has been murdered by a man whose motive at this time was unknown.
Let me be absolutely clear: I do not agree with abortion, except for extreme emergencies to say the life of the mother. Dr. Tiller's regular practice was disappointing to me.
Let me be absolutely clear, again: I wholeheartedly condemn this murder. I may disagree with Dr. Tiller's actions, but killing someone for that reason is as evil as killing an unborn child. No human being has the right to take the life of another. Even the state, which has the power of capital punishment, has limits in executing that power.
This event is a sad day in our nation, a day that shows how irrational we have become as a society. Instead of using appropriate means to prevent the travesty of abortion, we see some maverick foolishly engage in the travesty of murder. No justifiable reason can be given for such a heinous act.
I am concerned, too, about the backlash that could occur as a result of this tragedy. I can see people who are pro-life being mocked or looked on with distrust after this. And I have to wonder: it is possible that anyone who holds a pro-life position could begin to be consider a "domestic terrorist" and that those who engage in making pro-life statements will be considered guilty of "hate speech?" I don't think that will happen, but given the current political climate, I guess anything is possible.
For now, please be in prayer for the Tiller family as it mourns and for America as a whole as we seem to be careening down the dangerous path to moral anarchy.

No comments: