Sunday, May 24, 2009

Remembering Those Who Served

As tomorrow is Memorial Day, I thought I would make a brief post mentioning those in my immediate family who served to protect this country and to secure the freedoms that we now enjoy. My ancestors came from Germany (and Scotland) to seek out a better life and greater freedom in this land, and their descendants served honorably in securing those freedoms.
My uncle Wayne served in the military during the Korean War in a support role, ensuring that the soldiers were able to fight with fewer distractions. He retired from the military and lived a quiet life in Colby, KS, until his death a few years ago.
My maternal grandfather, Marion, served as a cargo pilot during World War II, transporting prisoners, troops, and goods to different places throughout the Pacific Theater. After the war, he returned home and eventually became a pilot trainer and pilot for one of the aircraft companies in Wichita. He died many years ago, and is buried in Wichita, along with my maternal grandmother.
These heroes in my family tree may never have had to endure the horrors of combat, but I know that without them, the brave men who fought to provide me with the freedoms I enjoy today would not have been able to do their jobs as well as they did. Thanks be to God for their years of sacrifice and service.

No comments: