Sunday, January 06, 2008

Perelandra

I was going to write about my theory of relationships, but I decided to wait on that. I need to find my previous thoughts on the matter and use them as a template. Instead, I want to comment on one of my favorite CS Lewis books: Perelandra.
In Perelandra, a man from Earth by the name of Elwin Ransom is sent to Venus (called Perelandra by its inhabitants) for what are initially unknown reasons. He soon finds himself in a battle with another Terran, a battle which will decide whether Perelandra will avoid the Fall that its cousin planet, Earth, experienced.
One of the interesting aspects of the book is how Lewis (through Perelandra) pictures what an ideal Earth would have been like. In Perelandra, the humans are to the animals what God is to us: He loves and cares for us and wants to see us become as much like Him as we can. The goal of the King and Queen (the first sentient Perelandrans) likewise is to make the animals of Perelandra as much like humans as possible.
If Lewis is correct in his thinking, then it would explain why we humans tend to anthropomorphize animals so easily. It also explains our propensity for pets. There could be some residual memory of our original Edenic calling to take care of the animals and make them more like us.
It's certainly an interesting thought, one that had never occurred to me before reading Perelandra.

No comments: