Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Rambling: Nostaglia

I just returned from a visit up to the college I went to not too many years ago. The amount of changes that I found amazed me. If you know anything about Iowa State University, read on to hear my comments on the changes that I saw. If not, all I can say is that while it was good to see some old friends and to briefly visit so many places where God worked to alter the course of my life, it was bittersweet. The most bitter part of the visit was realizing that I graduated seven years ago and that it hasn't seemed that long. Time has flown.

For those who know that campus a lot has changed in the past seven years. Helser Hall is only about a third the size that it previously was. In its place is the Union Drive Commons. Also in Union drive is a new, suite-style residence hall. I'm fine with that change. One change in the UDA area that I wasn't excited about was Clyde Williams Field being turned into parking lot, however. The new Engineering buildings are wonderful. It's great to see the run-down Engineering Annex building finally torn down. And the work they've done to make the Marston Water Tower stand out is amazing. Most of the halls that I frequently had class in are still there and basically unchanged: Gillman Hall, MacKay Hall, Physics Hall, Lagomarcino Hall, and Agronomy Hall. It was great to see them. There's the new Honors and Business buildings, although they're just okay. I have nothing to compare them to.
The biggest shock, though, was seeing how different the Towers residence halls looked. Two of them are gone completely: Knapp and Storms were demolished in the past year. Only the Knapp-Storms Commons remains. It amazes me how small a footprint those buildings had because it hardly seems like those gigantic concrete edifices would fit within the ground that remains. Yet they were there: all 11 stories of them. Now, however, there's just open space. And the remaining two Towers, including my home home for 2 years: Wilson Hall, are next.
Overall, I approve of most of the changes made to the University grounds. A lot of work needed to be done, and I'm glad to see that it has been done.

No comments: