Friday, May 27, 2005

Story: Rapture, Pt IV

In the hope that someone might have seen Jeff and talked to him, I decided to talk to some people in the room. I knew that Jeff came here often and that he was somewhat of a legend for his skiing exploits.
Carrying my cider with me, I walked over to the couches surrounding the fireplace. As I approached the couches, I saw that an attractive young woman with emerald eyes sat alone on one of the couches. A tan cup filled with some sort of coffee blended in with her tan pants. She wore a brown sweater that matched her shoulder-length, chestnut-colored hair. It was one of Jeff’s friends, Meghan. She lived in Colorado and had joined us on the ski slopes for the past two days. I had gotten to know her a little bit, but I did not know her nearly as well as I would have liked to.
Putting on my best smile, I tried to remain calm as I approached her. Pretty women made me nervous. I always felt intimidated by their beautiful features, and even though I had already met her, this woman still intimidated me some.
"Hi, Meghan," I said, my voice cracking only slightly.
A warm smile flooded her face. If she found my pubescent-sounding introduction awkward, she gave no sign of it. "Hey, Jimson." Without pause she asked, "Did you just get back down the slopes?"
I nodded in response. "Yeah, I did. I stayed on the green runs," I elaborated. "I'm not that good a skier and nowhere close to the level of Jeff. He's world class."
“He is really good,” Meghan agreed. “He has that amazing knack for knowing how to turn and when to turn to avoid a fall. Was he with you?”
"No,” I replied, “and that’s why I’m a bit worried. He said he'd meet me here after the runs closed, but he's not here yet even though it’s getting dark."
"Be patient, Jimson, I’m sure…" Meghan said reassuringly.
"That's not all, though," I interrupted. "There's also a blizzard coming, and it will be here by 6:30 p.m.! Jeff said he would meet me here at 6, but it's after 6 now, and he's not here!"
I handed the note to her. She read it, but her reaction was the not the concern that I expected. "I'm sure he'll be here, soon, Jimson," she said placidly. "This note says as soon after six as possible, and it's only a little after six right now. I'm sure he'll be here any second."
I agreed half-heartedly with her, but I still was anxious to see Jeff, especially with that fierce winter storm nearing. "I think I'll roam around the great room for a while," I said. "I’ll talk with you later, Meghan."
"Good talking with you, Jimson," she replied as I got up from the couch and headed back to where I had been sitting at the bar.
My cider, which I had been sipping the entire time I talked with Meghan was now cool enough for me to gulp down. Finishing my drink, I left the cup on the bar and resumed my roaming of the room.

6 comments:

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Uh, oops...that was her name in the last draft. Looks like I missed one when I changed it. :-)

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

It's fixed now.

incurable optimist said...

I'm telling you, he's been eaten by a polar bear. "It's called a cruel irony." (Arielle, can you name the movie?)

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Oo! Oo! I know! I know! I know the movie! :-)

incurable optimist said...

Well, since Arielle's enjoying herself in Colorado, Mr. Seidel, what is the movie?

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

The Emperor's New Groove, isn't it?
When Izma says, "I know. It's a cruel irony, like my dependence on you."