Friday, May 06, 2005

Poem: This Valley

In this valley, it’s hard to see
There’s thick fog and haze
And the noise, the noise
Of my enemy all around
Screeching and squealing
Railing, mocking, jeering
Telling me of my wretchedness
Telling me I’m a fool and damned

But heed the cacophony a little
And off the path I stray
Into mire, muck and slime
My progress slows in the swamp
And as my treading slows down
I become downtrodden and sullen
I stop trying and stop hearing
And stop listening to Your voice

Only You can pull me back on track
And only You will walk beside me
Like the Lion with the peasant boy
Keeping me from straying away
So to You I turn and to You I listen
Until this wretched valley I leave
Ahead joyous glades of Your presence
Where walking and hearing are easy

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I purchased you a mail-order bride from Uganda. She should be here in a couple of weeks. Hope you like her.

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

I'm not sure if I should be honored or horrified. :-)
By the way (abrupt change of subject), this poem has nothing to do with being single. To understand the inspiration for the poem, read "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Boring? I guess it might be to some people. For me, the issue is not whether they're going to make it or not. It's the truth expressed by the characters as they interact with each other that makes the book so enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

that is so LAME!!

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Lame? How so? I don't understand?

Anonymous said...

You know what is really lame, Seidel? You! You should've gone to talk to her. C'mon Seidel, seize the opportunity.

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Hey, let me point out that I tried to do just that on Monday, but she wasn't there. And in light of the whole incident in Colorado, I am slightly offended by the use of the word "lame" to describe. :-)

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

err me

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

she wasn't in there when I went in to talk to her. Mr. Waldy was at the computer

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

She's just someone the yentas are trying to set me up with.

incurable optimist said...

Seidel, I'm so proud of you for talking to her today! Oh, and Nathan, you really should get used to disappointment. And, AARGH!, it's spelled Y-E-N-T-E-S! Please, people, have you never seen Fiddler on the Roof? Yente was the matchmaker!

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

It may be Yente in Fiddler, but it is yenta in the dictionary.