Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Election Season Has Begun (yay?)

With less than a month to go before the primary on August 3rd, election season in Kansas is heating up. The big news is the primary for the Senate seat being vacated by Senator Brownback. The two challengers, Moran and Tiahrt, have spent most of the past two months trying to portray themselves as more conservative than the other guy. The amount of effort that they're going to, especially Moran, is a bit sickening. Just show us your record and let it speak for itself. Who is more conservative? Well, I think it depends on what measures you use. I would say that Moran is barely (just barely) more conservative fiscally (if there is such a thing in Washington anymore, which I doubt) but that Tiahrt is more conservative socially. Both, in reality, are probably fiscal moderates and social conservatives of some sort.
The problem, really, is that there simply aren't enough politicians in the entire government who are true fiscal conservatives, which is what this country probably needs more than anything right now. Yes, there are important social & moral issues that need to be dealt with. The current leadership, however, is spending money like they're making it in the cellar. As a registered Republican voter, I need to decide who I'm going to vote for. What I really want to see, of course, is a candidate who is fiscally and socially conservative. They apparently don't exist. I'd settle for someone who is fiscally conservative and won't allow a liberal social agenda. Since I have neither of those options, I'll wait a little while longer before I make my decision, although I'm leaning one way over the other.

No comments: