Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rant: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Last night, I went along with a couple of friends to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I normally don't see many movies in the theater, nor do I usually review them, but I need to get my feelings about this one out of my system. One caveat: I am not a huge movie person, nor a movie expert like some of my friends. So, don't expect me to provide an expert-style review.
Button, very loosely based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, follows the titular character's adventures as he ages backwards. The idea holds quite a bit of potential. This movie could have successfully and intelligently dealt with issues such as death, the meaning of life, the value of relationships, and the dignity of human beings.
[rant]Instead, however, it deals with none of them, at least, not well. It mentions death as "a frequent visitor" and implies that it's normal and okay, but that's far as it goes in dealing with the issue. It never makes any deep statements about the issue.
Likewise, the meaning of life gets short shrift. The meaning of life, according to the movie, is to live hedonistically, drinking a lot and sleeping around.
Relationships also take a hit. Hardly any relationship is seen as having any value, especially marriage, as none of the main characters in the movie ever even bother to marry. Living together is fine and seen as completely acceptable, even though the movie starts out in the 1920s, an era where such things were not looked on kindly.
On top of being shallow, the movie also is insanely long, nearly 3 hours. It seems to me that the editors fell in love with every aspect of the movie and couldn't figure out how to cut the material that wasn't essential to the plot. Speaking of plot, there really wasn't much of one. There really isn't a central conflict. Instead, it's more of a "Forrest Gump" style following of one man's life.[/rant]
The only positive I found in this movie was the acting. Brad Pitt, the make-up team, and the special effects guys did an excellent job of portraying this man who ages backwards. That is not an easy task to pull off.
[rant]Obviously, I did not enjoy this movie. After it was over, I thought about going to the box office and asking if I could get a partial refund. After all, if I'm going to spend nearly 3 hours of my time and over $9, I'd like to enjoy, at least partially, what I purchased.[/rant]

No comments: