Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Adventures in Lighting

So, with being a first-year homeowner comes the adventure of trying to decorate the house some for Christmas. Now, I was going to wait until Saturday to put up lights on the outside of my house. My motivation for waiting was primarily the tendency of our society to jump right to Christmas right after Thanksgiving. I can't stand that. I can't take Christmas that long. I'll be fine to start it once the liturgical season of Advent starts this coming Sunday. Thus the motivation for putting my lights up this Saturday. Then I saw the forecast for Saturday. It's not going to be light hanging weather. Besides, by God's mercy and grace, my dad happened to be in town today on some errands, so he swung early this evening with a ladder, and I hung my lights. It was a bit of an adventure because I've never hung lights at this house before, and I didn't have any lights to hang.
So, I went out and bought some, but there are innumerable varieties of lights out there, including some that will calculate and file your 2008 income tax for you. I settled for 3 sets of basic mini-lights. Then, I had to drive all over Topeka trying to find the right kind of hangers. I finally found what I was looking for at a hardware store in north Topeka. Everywhere else was out.
Once I got the hangers, with my dad's help and a little bit of ladder work, I was able to get the lights up relatively quickly. I'll turn them on Saturday night when I do my interior Christmas decorating. And enjoy the fact that I'm not putting lights up will sleet and freezing rain are falling.

No comments: