Sunday, June 03, 2007

Yo Soy Arbitro

Yesterday, I refereed a couple of games in the adult league in town. The majority of the teams in the league are Spanish-speaking, which certainly made for an interesting experience. It was enjoyable, actually, to be able to put my minimal knowledge of Spanish to use. One of the men I refereed with knew little English, so I had to try to communicate with him in Spanish. It was a challenge but an enjoyable one. I'll say this, too: I'm glad I wasn't the center. The level of play is far above my refereeing skills. I would have had 22 angry men cussing me out in Spanish if I had been the center for either game. I'm content to be on the line for a while. Maybe one day, my skills will improve to the level where I'll be able to handle a game in this league, but for now, I'll settle for working on the lines and on my Spanish as well. I like to talk with the players during the game as a part of maintaining order. Es dificil cuando yo no puedo recordar las palabaras que son necesarias para conversar con los jugadores. :-)
Hasta luego.

No comments: