Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Story: Colonel Williams, Ch. 9, pt. I

Here is the first of the two parts I have so far of Chapter 9. I will try to get the rest of it written over Labor Day weekend, and then I am going to put this story on hiatus until after soccer season because I do not have time right now to write more. Enjoy the first part!

Chapter 9 – The Escape

Williams, Alejandro, and Roderick stared at each other in shock. Williams managed to recover his voice first. “Did she say what her name was?” he asked.
“No,” replied his son, “she didn’t, but she’s waiting in your office for you.”
“All right,” Williams said, still dazed at the revelation, “I’ll go talk with her.” He invited Alejandro to come along, saying only that there was a runaway slave that he wanted Alejandro to meet.
They climbed the short flight of steps that led into the house, pushed open the white doors, and went to Williams’ office. As they entered the office, they saw the tall form of a woman, standing with her back to them and staring out over the fields.
Williams stopped just inside the door to his office. “SeƱora,” he said in Spanish, “I am Colonel Williams, the owner of this estate. My son told me that you wish to speak with me.”
“Yes,” replied the woman in Spanish as she turned around. She was a beautiful woman of no more than thirty. Her dark brown hair hung past her shoulders. Her face seemed tired, as one who had just traveled through many trials but had finally found a resting place.
“I wanted to speak with you…” She trailed off, unable to finish her thought. She had seen Alejandro.
“Alejandro?” she cried excitedly.
“Maria!” exclaimed Alejandro, running over to her. They embraced as only reunited lovers long-separated could.
“How did you get here?” Maria asked in amazement after a minute of the two enjoying each other’s presence.
“That is what I wanted to ask you,” replied Alejandro.
“Well, it is a long story, and I really need to talk with the Colonel a minute…”
“That’s fine,” Williams interrupted, “take your time, Maria. I want to hear your story, too. We’ve been searching for you for several days now. I’m amazed that you are here.”
“I am more amazed that Alejandro is here,” responded Maria. “I thought that I would never see him again after we were separated in the market.”
“We might never have seen each other,” Alejandro said, “if Colonel Williams had not redeemed me from the man who bought me.”
“That is why I am here,” replied Maria. “I heard one of the other slaves talking about a man who redeemed slaves from their owners and then allowed them to work for him, free of slavery. Are you that man, Colonel?”
“I am,” Williams answered, “and I have papers here from Mr. Walters – the man who bought you – that transfer your services to me. You are now in my care. You and Alejandro are welcome to stay here as long as you wish.”
“Thank you!” Maria and Alejandro said in unison. They looked lovingly at each other afterwards, and the conversation lapsed into silence for a brief period of time.
“Maria,” Williams finally asked, “would you be willing to tell us now how you escaped from Mr. Walters?”
“I would be glad to,” answered Maria. “We should sit, though, because this is a long story.”
Williams pulled together three chairs, and all three sat down.
“It all started,” Maria began, “on the day that I was sold to Mr. Walters…”

No comments: