Sunday, August 21, 2005

Story: Colonel Williams, Ch. 8, pt. III

Here is the next part, as promised.

Williams nodded and translated the question and his answer to keep Alejandro in the conversation. “I do. I’m guessing that Alejandro’s wife – Maria – probably started east as a ruse to confuse her pursuers. I can’t imagine that someone as knowledgeable in escape and evasion as she is would intentionally leave footprints that clearly marked her path unless it was divert her captors. She’s probably changed course and is heading somewhere else now.”
“But where would she go?” Alejandro asked.
“I’m not sure,” answered Williams, “but the first direction that I’m going to search is back towards town. If she put false tracks to the east, then it seems logical that she would head in the opposite direction.”
“Wouldn’t she expect her pursuers to try that as well?” Roderick questioned.
“No,” replied Williams, “I don’t think so. She knew that they saw her as a lost, confused foreigner. I’m sure that they’ve underestimated her ability to evade them.”
Before he could say any more, Walters rode up on a horse, a tall, imposing charger, dark brown with a black mane. It stamped the ground and looked every bit as fiery as its master. Walters controlled the horse with the skill of a master horseman.
“I’m going to check up on my men out east,” he said. “Are you all going to come with me?”
“No,” answered Williams, “we’re going to head out to the west, back towards town in case she headed back that way.”
Walters gave Williams a surprised look. “If you really think that’s a good idea, Colonel, then go ahead, but based off of the tracks we found in the stream, I don’t think you’ll find anything.”
“We’ll still try that way,” said Williams, “just in case.”
“Very well,” Walters responded flatly, “if you want to waste your time, then go right ahead. If you get tired of your goose chase and want to join us, come back here and wait for me. I’m going to search for a couple of hours, but I have better things to do than search for a runaway. I’ll see you later this afternoon, Colonel.” With a yell, he firmly kicked his horse in its sides and galloped away on it to the east.

1 comment:

incurable optimist said...

Are you ready for us to come back and annoy you?