Sunday, June 20, 2010

World Cup Refereeing Comments

Refereeing soccer is not easy. Believe me, I know. I am a referee. I am nowhere near in the league of those men who take the field every 4 years at the World Cup, so I am almost always impressed by the manner in which these guys handle such intense pressure.
That said, the past few days have been full of controversial refereeing decisions, which is sad. It distracts from the beauty of the game. I understand how the referees must feel because I've been there myself. I've had to make difficult calls, issue red cards, and deal with irate parents, coaches, and players. I've had bad games. I've had great games. And, since I am not in a soccer-insane country like Colombia, my life is not in danger after a bad game.
The latest firestorm to hit the World Cup was the 2nd yellow and subsequent sending off of Brazilian star Kaka. While Brazil has taken issue with the red card (of course), and while the replay shows that the Cote d'Ivoire player exaggerated the contact, I still think Kaka's 2nd yellow was justified. Let me explain why. The reason, plain and simple, is that Kaka stepped into his opponent and raised his arm, trying to make the contact look incidental. It was Kaka who created the contact. It was, in my opinion, classic unsporting behavior. Now, should the Cote d'Ivoire player also have received a caution for exaggeration of the foul? Absolutely. The problem, however, is that from the referee's point of view, he could not see the contact and where it occurred. He was in proper position, and as a result, the players had their backs to him. The only way that the simulation on the part of the Cote d'Ivoire player could have been seen is if there were two more Assistant referees on the touch lines, one covering each quadrant. I think that might be unnecessary. Maybe not.
The only thing I've always found out about soccer is that there are 22 players on the field, operating in far more space than American football, and yet there are only 3 referees for the entire field. American football uses 6. Hockey uses 4 (I think). So, maybe it's time FIFA looked at adding some extra referees out on the field at the International level. I'm not sure exactly how it would work. Perhaps some sort of hybrid between the Diagonal System of Control and the 2-man system still used by high schools in the U.S. The system would still utilize 2 assistant referees with flags who are responsible for boundary decisions and offside and 2 referees, each of whom was responsible for one half of the field, looking for fouls and the like. I don't know. Maybe that wouldn't work.
Regardless, I completely agree with the referee's decision to caution and send off Kaka, and I'm sure that puts me in the minority. I don't care. I'm used to having a minority opinion. I am, after all, a referee.

No comments: