Sunday, February 07, 2010

Snow?

A great buzz filled the air at school on Friday: the NWS was looking at the possibility of 6-10 inches of snow falling in Topeka. If that forecast verified, it would mean that there would be no school on Monday, something that the students were, of course, all in favor of.
On Friday, I took a quick look at a forecast model, and I didn't see the major snowfall. Of course, I admittedly look at a limited amount of data. So, I took a "wait and see" attitude to the forecast, given that the NWS-Topeka tends to over-forecast snowfall events.
It appears that my caution was unnecessary. The official forecast has gone from 6-8 inches in Topeka to 4-6 to 2-4. It is looking less and less likely that a significant snowfall will occur tonight into tomorrow. In fact, the models are disagreeing about whether snow will even fall. One model has no snow falling, just cold rain and/or sleet. The other model has Topeka getting 2-4 inches. Clearly, the NWS is following the latter model. At this point, based on what little data I've looked at, I'll go out on a limb and forecast 1-3 inches in Topeka, although I'm leaning more and more towards the lower end of that spectrum.
That means, of course, there will be school tomorrow. Kids, do your homework. [grin]

No comments: