Sunday, May 27, 2007

Summer Begins

With graduation yesterday--and it was a wonderful graduation ceremony...I will miss this class--the summer has officially arrived. Summer is always a bittersweet time for me, as it is for many teachers. It takes a while to adjust to the slower, less-structured pace of the season. Although I need it every year (as do my students, I suspect), I find that I also dread summer just a little. Perhaps it simply is because I am such a creature of habit. I like routine, and it's always difficult to adjust to a new one. Regardless of the cause, I am grateful to God that He stays with me throughout the challenges of switching routines. I couldn't survive the school year without Him, and I know I couldn't survive summer without Him, either.

Addendum: I just got home from the last graduation party, and I realized how much I'm going to miss this class.

17 comments:

incurable optimist said...

That is so sweet! You know we'll miss you, too! Especially those of us who go take college math and realize not all teachers are as helpful as you!
Thanks, too. Not just for the last four years of math, but for all the conversations that cropped up in between classes. You know, discussing philosophies and religions. I think you heard the largest portion of my Catholic rants.
And, of course, why aren't YOU a hott cowboy?

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

It was my privilege to have been your teacher these past four years, and I'm grateful that God was able to use me in some way in your life.
And that whole "Why aren't you a hot cowboy?" story is one of my favorites from my first five years of teaching. :-)

incurable optimist said...

It's one of Crystal's favorite quotes on Facebook, so the memories will live on!

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

I'm not sure if I should be flattered or afraid? :-)

incurable optimist said...

Flattered, definitely.
So, how many conversations are we carrying on right now through comments?

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Only about three or four. It's sort of like an IM conversation, only more stilted.

incurable optimist said...

If only I had IM, we could nip this whole confusion in the bud...

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

But that wouldn't be half the fun! :-) You do have a point...

incurable optimist said...

I almost suggested commenting on only one post, but then the other conversations would end!

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

And driven the comment count on that one post through the roof!

incurable optimist said...

Hey, some people think that means the post was especially deep or controversial. Christa once had 35 comments arguing with her "Betsy is not weird" post, you may recall. Highly controversial topic. Except that 99% of the population would agree that I am, in fact, weird.

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Ah, yes, I remember that post. I'm don't remember which way I voted, either.

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Edit: "I'm" --> "I"

incurable optimist said...

Yeah, I think you said something diplomatic so I wouldn't be offended or feel as if I were being lied to.

incurable optimist said...

I think I may get off the web, now, but now that I know some people still use blogs, I'll be hearing of and from you!

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

Of course I was careful. I realized that as a teacher that I needed to be careful how I phrased what I said. I wouldn't want to be responsible for hurting one of students, even in jest.

Mr. Pi Thetahead said...

See you.