Friday, July 28, 2006

Rambling: Teacher Education

As part of my Issues in Education class, I have had to read a couple of books in addition to the normal class reading. I've already discussed on in brief, The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom. Now, I'd like to provide a quick discussion of the other book I read, Teacher Education in America by Christopher Lucas.

Lucas, a professor of education at the University of Arkansas, writes a fascinating and compelling analysis of teacher education before proposing a ground-breaking plan to reform the teacher education curriculum. Well-written and mostly easily to read (except for one dry stastisical area), Lucas establishes his credibility with a survey of the history of teacher preparation in the U.S. Moreover, with an even-handed presentation of the modern controversial issues, he maintains his credibility. Finally, after discussing his own study of what teachers recommend, Lucas proposes a reform plan that I think has the potential to improve the quality of the teachers produced signficantly.
This book is must read for anyone interested in developing or improving teacher education programs. It is also a good read for anyone in education, as the first two chapters alone provide a solid context for many of the current debates. Overall, it is an excellent book that I thoroughly enjoyed!

No comments: