Sunday, September 18, 2005

Story: Colonel Williams, Ch. 9, Pt. VI

Maria knew that she could not leave immediately because of rain that had fallen that day. The ground would be muddy, and she would leave tracks that could be easily followed. To prepare for her escape, she started talking to Neol, the man who guarded her during the day, in order to get information about the terrain around the farm.

“There’s a-woods to the north, ma’am,” said Neol when she asked him what was around the farm, “and a crick off to the east; it’s usually a little muddy down there this time of the year, but it’s a great place to go a-huntin’ for crawdads. Now, off to the south and east, there ain’t nothin’ too terribly interestin’, just farmland. But them woods, man, let me a-tell ya, those are some great places. Why my old dog, Pontrus and I, we used to a-go off into the woods…”
Neol trailed off into a long, dull story of his adventures with his childhood dog, which Maria did her best to feign interest in. Her mind was busy plotting her exact escape route. Still, she had to wait for the ground to dry.
The humid early spring weather caused the ground to dry slowly. Over the next two days, Maria could see through a hole in the wall that the ground outside of the shack grew drier and drier. Finally, two days after the cook was thrown in the shack, Maria knew that the ground was just right for escape. She would leave no tracks in the mud, nor would she leave tracks in the dust. Once nightfall arrived, she would be off, sneaking past the often-sleeping night guard and on to freedom.
Walters caused her to speed up her plans. Early in the morning he burst into the flimsy shanty in a rage. “All right you,” he bellowed, “I’m heading into town right now to see the man who sold you to me. I know that he doesn’t take back slaves, but I’m hoping that he’ll give me my money back, unless, of course, you’re willing now to work. You have refused to do even the simplest chores, and I’m not going to keep feeding and housing a useless slave. You will start working.”
It was a demanded Maria had heard many times before. She never answered it.
“Still refusing to speak!” cried Walters incredulously. “Let me warn you right now that my patience is about up. If you don’t decide to work for me, then there’ll be worse than this for you.” He cracked the whip over her a couple of times.
Maria, still playing the part of a forlorn servant, began to cry.
Walters cursed. “Enough with the infernal crying!” he shouted. “That’s all you ever do is cry. Well, you can cry all you want, because I have no sympathy. And if you haven’t changed your ways by the time I get back from town, I may just decide that you’re not worth keeping around – alive.”
Maria paused in her faux crying at the shock of what she had just heard. Could any man be so cruel as to kill someone who refused to submit to his tyrannical rule? She had heard of dictators in distant countries who did such things, but never had she met anyone that would do something do cruel.
Walters noticed her shock. “I see that you value your life,” he said, misunderstanding her pause to mean that she was considering working. “Well, you have about four hours before I get back. By then, I hope that you’ll have changed your mind and be willing to work. Good bye.” He turned and left.
How the noose had closed around Maria! She did not doubt that Walters would kill her upon his return, yet she also knew how difficult a daylight escape would be. She had to find a way past Neol and off of the property without raising the alarm. Moreover, she had to do it quickly, because the greater the head start she had on her pursuers the better.

No comments: