Saturday, March 19, 2005

Rambling: Mah-wage, Mah-wage Is What Bwings Us Togethe Today

The major event of today was the wedding of two of my friends from church. It was a beautiful, simple wedding. I will never again doubt that a wedding can be pulled together in just a few weeks. My friends were able to do it. It was not fancy, that's for sure. The were no bridesmaids, only a matron of honor, and only a best man on the groom's side. The reception was not a full meal, nor was there a dance, but it was still a good wedding.
Of course, being a single guy at a wedding is both encouraging and discouraging at the same time. It is encouraging because I can't help but expect that someday God will allow to be in the same place as the groom was today (with a different woman, of course!). :-)
It is discouraging because no relationships that could lead to marriage seem to exist right now. It's not that I don't know single women my own age, even a few that I would consider to be friends. It's not (despite accusations from several of my students to the contrary) as if I'm trying to avoid being married. I am, however, trying my best not to be married merely for the sake of being married. After all, I would rather be single than unhappily married. For while I am single, I have flexibility in serving God that a married man does not. And if I am discouraged about being single, I always have the hope that at some point God will bring my wife and I together. No, I am not going to be in a hurry to get married. Yet, I am more than willing to work at a relationship should I meet the right woman. And one day, if God is merciful and gracious, I will.
Returning to the main topic, the wedding was a beautiful, God-honoring event, and I pray that God will bless the couple with a wonderful marriage. Despite how it affects me, I would not have missed the chance to celebrate with them what God has done in their lives.

1 comment:

Ansen Bayer said...

And Horatio...I think it's you...